Saturday, March 12, 2011

Saturday, March 12th "Explorations"

Today we were broken into small groups and sent to explore the Old City. Each group was given a Quarter to go to and interact with the locals and learn more about the people there than to be actual tourists. My group was sent to the Muslim Quarter. A few minutes after entering the Quarter through Herod's Gate we stopped to look at a map and decide where to go. While we were standing a man came up and asked if we needed help. We explained what we were doing and he gave us directions to good places to see, then before leaving he invited us to come back to his home for tea and coffee. He spoke with us for a while regarding his experience of living in Jerusalem. His hospitality was very touching and inspiring. After this we walked around the Muslim Quarter, and in and out of the other Quarters. Eventually we found ourselves at Christ Church and were given a tour of the cistern ruins underneath one of their buildings that were from the gardens of Herod's Palace. We also made our way to XXX Lutheran Church and went up the bell tower where we had a fantastic view of the entire city.
We regrouped in the late afternoon back at the college to share our experiences. It was great to hear about what the other groups did and who they met. They each had their own interesting experiences in their Quarters.
I'm still blown away by the hospitality that was shown to my group today. I can't imagine that happening in a city back home. This man was a shop keeper in the Muslim Quarter and had no connection to us at all. I was a little nervous at first but I'm very glad to have been with my group and to be stretched past my comfort zone so I could experience that hospitality. It was definitely something I will remember for a while.

No comments: