Saturday, May 30, 2009

Day 7, "The day I laughed at the French concept of 'river'"

I am really digging this silence. I think I need to institute some time for it on a regular basis. Today was the same schedule as yesterday, morning prayer, breakfast, bible introduction, Greek, noonday prayer, lunch, finish Greek, explore France, read theology, dinner, evening prayer. It's a pretty good schedule I think.
Today on my exploration I went in search of a river. I found it and it's more of a stream. I continued on though and walked through some woods for a while. It was really exciting just wandering down this path in the middle of a foreign country, having barely any clue where I was or where I was going and having no one know where I was. At points there was no sights or sounds of humanity except the path I was walking on, made me think about walking out of the woods into the past before modern civilization began to be such a distraction.
I finished Dean Markham's book today, it was alright, I guess it was pretty good as an introduction. I want to read McGrath's though, it seems more in depth. I guess next I'm onto Church History. I'm getting really excited about my calling. I feel it's been a while since that has happened. School seems to drain the passion right out of me. Being here and seeing all these people form all over worshiping together is so revitalizing though. It is an exciting time to be in the church and I'm psyched to be able to devote my all to it.
On a completely unrelated note I was thinking about RIPUL earlier and can't wait to get home and go watch some ultimate games. I miss hanging out with the the guys and with RIUT & post-RIUT folk. I am glad to be away and be doing what I'm doing but I certainly miss that.
I'm sitting on the back porch of the silent house right now with this amazing view of some hills & French country side houses and it's dusk so there are a bunch of bats flying around in front of me. It's quite breathtaking.

1 comment:

mr. totes said...

That's a great place to get completely lost. I had to really struggle just now to remember if I was alone when I wandered into the woods. I mean, I wandered in a straight line until, as you said, there were no discernible sounds or signs of anything but nature, And I only just now realized that it was just me out there. Like maybe I invented a second self to travel with, because I feel like I remember having the 'left or right' conversation (argument?) a million times. But I also know I didn't open my mouth once. It makes me wonder what would happen if I spent like seven years in tibet or something. sweet. I'm jealous.