Sunday, May 31, 2009

Days 8 & 9, "The days I forgot to write"

I didn't write anything in Lyon so these two days are being postdated and combined. We left Taize on the 31st of May, or Day 8. In the morning I had my last meal in silence (sans chocolate) and then the Eucharist. At the service there were probably close to 2,000 folks there (people flocked in since it was Pentecost) and it took less than an hour and a half (a full service and 2,000ish communed in an hour and a half!). The service was beautiful.
For our trip to Lyon we chartered a bus to pick us up and drop us off at the hotel. The bus was a full on Peter Pan sized bus and there were nine of us, it was quite ridiculous to say the least. When we got to Lyon we discovered it is much like Boston in that we could see our hotel but could not figure out how to get there. The bus also almost got stuck taking a turn. We made it though and checked into our rooms freshened up and then went out to eat. The meal was alright, I remember enjoying it last time more last time I came. I had salmon as an appetizer, and lamb and potatoes as the main dish (the lamb just melted off the bone, it was great), a cheese I didn't particularly enjoy and rum cake I could barely finish.
The next day I stayed around the hotel and train station area, venturing out for crepes and coffee. Later that night there was a showing of Serenity in my room which was enjoyable winding down with some folks that way. It was a nice relaxing day to recuperate and get ready for the next stage of my trip.

No comments: