Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 11, "The day I drank a Bishop's Finger"

Well the alarm technically worked this morning but I slept until about 9am. The reason for this being my computer was on mute and alarms aren’t much help if they can’t make noise. So I woke up at around 9am, went out to Burgate and got a calling card and some coffee then came back to the lodge. I went down to the library and read about St. Thomas of Canterbury until lunchtime then ate lunch. After lunch I figured it was late enough back home and called home. I talked with my parents for a while (found out my brother was promoted to the rank of Captain in the USAF!) then went down to the cathedral.
It is amazing inside the cathedral. I brought the self-tour guide they sent us and walked through that and took pictures. It was especially amazing to stand at the site where St. Thomas was martyred after having just read about him all morning. The whole place, though, is truly awesome. It was a little distracting because there were a lot of school groups being loud but regardless of that everything there was incredibly moving. Walking through I really felt a connection with the history of the church.
After that I cam back and met some guys from Nashotah House. On my way over to Evensong I met a girl from Chicago who goes to Duke, and on our way back we met a girl going to school in Toronto.
After dinner the Nashotah guys and myself walked around Canterbury and ended up at a bar called the Bishop’s Finger. The beer was pretty good and it was nice getting to know the guys better and hear about their experience at Nashotah.
Tomorrow the actual program starts up (albeit somewhat slowly to allow people to adjust to the time difference) and I’m quite excited to get on with it.

No comments: