Saturday, June 6, 2009

Day 14, "The day I was out of the country for two weeks"

Today's morning was much the same as the others although things were at different times since it wasn't a week day. In the bible study part we talked about what the gospel means to us individually and what gospel we need to preach back home. I was amazed at how much the church is about healing in other countries. I guess since everything has been medicalized in the west it's easy to overlook that. It was also interesting to hear other group members talk about how they have problems back home with people saying they're Christians but not really going to church, I guess it's a problem all over. Of course I expected it to be elsewhere but not to the degree that it's one of the main problems according to young clergy from these dioceses.
We had the afternoon off again so I chilled in my room. Before Evensong I did some Greek and read some church history afterwards I read a novel. It's been nice to just relax in my room this evening. I haven't had too much time just to myself outside of just before going to bed.
We talked in the teaching session this morning about priesthood. Ed quoted, or rather paraphrased, George Herbert saying when you go to visit a congregant don't presume to thing that you are bringing God there, for God is already there and the people you are going to see are the people God died for. The role of the priest is not to bring God to them but rather to recognize and show that God is already there. It reminded me about a story I heard about a famous sculptor being asked how he creates the beautiful things he does out of stone, to which he responds that he isn't creating anything just showing what's already in the stone.

No comments: