Friday, June 12, 2009

Day 20, "The day I talked with the Dean of Canterbuy Cathedral about the Red Sox"

Walking out of matins today the Dean made a comment about my life is good shirt, the Fenway edition one. So I mentioned it was a sox shirt and was about to explain I was wearing it in honor of the third sweep of the Yankees this season when he told me he was in Boston for the 2004 World Series parade and later he told me he bought some sox cuff links while he was there.
The day has been fairly normal. Philippians with Kathy bothin in the morning and afternoon. We also heard about obedience and vocation from a lady who works for the Church of England in their national office handling discernment type stuff.
This evening we had a candlelit tour of the Cathedral given by Ed, the Canon who is leading our program. It was amazing to both be in there with it so quiet and somewhat dark (the sun was setting when we finished, but the lights were mostly off so it was fairly dark in there) and also to experience it in a way the pilgrims have for hundreds of years. We ended around the site where Becket's tomb was up until the 1530's and stood in a circle praying around it. You can see the grooves in the stone leading up to the site made by the knees of pilgrims making their way to the end of their pilgrimage. At times it seemed like I could feel the weight of history and tradition pressing down on me, much like how in the silent church at Taize I can feel the silence.

No comments: